SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA- CITY GUIDE
i have to admit i don’t think southern cali has the best food but it is one of our favorite places to beach so we end up there a lot. we sort of rotate through the same few spots. here’s my list of favorites.
– big bargain special
– side of onion rings
– make sure you ask for a side of their sauce to dip your fries and onion rings in
– their breakfast is pretty good too
i don’t know why but I don’t like the mission viejo location so go to any of the others.
Big Belly Deli in newport beach
across the pch from newport beach. perfect for ordering and taking over to the beach
– i always order the rajun cajun, it’s chicken and sausage with peppers and melted cheese. kinda spicy and really good.
– i get the kids a turkey sandwich on squaw bread, really good
– get the side of macaroni salad
Ajisen Ramen irvine
– oh i dream of spicy pork ramen. its just so so good.
– my kids love the regular pork ramen
walk over to 85c after dinner at ajisen ramen. its in the same complex. this taiwanese bakery is amazing. i don’t even know what the name is of the pastry i get, its a puff looking pastry in what looks like a large cupcake liner and inside its filled with the most delicious custard. we call them milk clouds. all the sweets are really good. i haven’t tried the savory. i don’t drink coffee but i’ve heard the sea salt coffee is some of the best. the lines can be reaaaaalllly long.
Ruby’s Shake Shack
we really like this place for the view alone. play at the beach and then walk up the stairs for lunch. sit at the bench facing the ocean while you enjoy your meal.
– breakfast burrito
– burger and fries
Lucha Libre in san diego
this was our first time eating at lucha and i thought it was pretty good. i really like the green creamy sauce at the salsa bar. i poured it all over everything.
– surfin’ califonia
– queso taco with carne asada
La Super-Rico Taqueria in santa barbara
hands down my favorite mexican food in california
– #16, homemade tortillas topped with carne asada, peppers and cheese. amazing!!
– homemade guac is to die for
– ivan loved the adobado taco’s
if you are in santa barbara go here, there will be a line but its worth the wait. oh and they have mexican soda. the perfect meal.
Pitfire Pizza in Costa Mesa
pizza and salads
i have yet to find a pizza i love in southern california.
– old man’s on swiss bagel, cream cheese, avocado and lemon pepper
– lower’s add sausage on cheddar bagel
– cinnamon crunch bagel with strawberry cream cheese
the best bagels i’ve ever had.
Sidecar Doughnuts in Costa Mesa
– butter and salt doughnut, my very favorite
-blueberry with cornmeal crumb, this one was doughnut of the month but i think they should always have it, it is that good.
VG Donut and Bakery
so i haven’t been here but i hear really good things about their donuts, its on my list next time i go.